Firearms Information and Application Instructions
Firearms ID and Purchase Permit Application Procedures
**THE BELOW INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR FIREARMS ID CARDS AND PURCHASE PERMITS ONLY - NOT TO BE USED FOR CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT APPLICATIONS**
FARS Application Procedures for Applicants:
Step 1: Visit this website. You MUST enter the site address as follows:
Step 2: Enter Plainsboro Police Department ORI #NJ0121800
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. When completing the application you will need the email addresses of 2 reputable references. Your references can be family members.
Step 4: PAYMENT for your INITIAL Firearms ID Card and/or Pistol Purchase Permits may be made in person at the Plainsboro Township Police Department OR electronically by following this link: Electronic Payment for Firearms
The associated fees are - $5.00 for Firearms ID cards and $2.00 for each Purchase Permit.
Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have PAID for the ID Card / Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process.
- Once your application is complete, a department representative will contact you.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
- The on-line application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well as the best email addresses for yourself and references.
All first time applicants MUST be fingerprinted. The fingerprint process will be completed by the state contracted company IndentoGo (Morpho Trust). This information and appointment form will be provided upon the submission of your properly completed firearms application.
Please note that if you have lived outside of New Jersey within the past 10 years you must manually fill out the, Consent for Mental Health Records Search and submit in person.
You will receive notification via the FARS system when your electronic FID and/or Purchase Permits have been issued and also by notification by this office.
* The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result in criminal charges against you.
Please direct all questions via email to: FirearmsApplication@Plainsboropolice.com
Permit to carry a handgun
The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal application
YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON
Out of State Resident – apply at a non-toll road State Police Barracks closest to your residence.
In State Resident – apply to your local police department (State Police patrolled areas apply to local Barracks)
*PLEASE CALL YOUR LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT OR STATE POLICE BARRACKS PRIOR TO APPLYING *
DO NOT JUST SHOW UP
Prior to setting up your fingerprinting appointment, you will need to come in the Plainsboro Twp. Police Department and see the Communications Officer in Dispatch. They will then provide you with a form that has the required service code and contributor case number needed to set up your fingerprint appointment.
PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
- Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Naturalization paperwork/Green Card.
- Three (3) State of New Jersey Applications for Permit to Carry a Handgun, form SP642. Must be Double sided and notarized
- Four (4) color passport size photographs.
- Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066.
- Written proof of ownership and qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying.
- Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt or purchase permit or a notarized letter of ownership listing make, model and serial number of handgun(s)
- Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and must include, Instructors Name and Certification Number, make, model, caliber and serial number of handguns(s) you intend to carry.
- Money order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; “Treasurer, State of New Jersey”
**IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.
**The required written firearms qualification, in accordance with N.J.A.C 13:54-2.4(B), can be obtained at most firearm ranges throughout the state. A list is also available on the NJSP website, www.NJSP.org > Public Information > Firearms Information >New Jersey Shooting Ranges for RPO Qualification.
**All Applicants (Initial and Renewal) for Permit to Carry a Handgun MUST be fingerprinted. Visit www.Identogo.com to schedule a fingerprint appointment.
** A New Jersey Permit to Carry is valid for two (2) years from time of approval.
All forms can be found on the NJSP website https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml)