Domestic Violence Response Team

Rights for Victims
The Domestic Violence Response Team of the Plainsboro Township Police Department provides counseling and advocacy services to the victims of domestic violence, free of charge. We recognize that when a domestic crime occurs, the entire family is also affected by the crime. Therefore, innocent family members are also entitled to our services. We believe that every victim of domestic violence has:
  • The right to these services regardless of whether or not they prosecute the offender
  • The right to be respected and to be treated fairly, regardless of race, religion, creed or sexual orientation
  • The right to confidentiality (exceptions will be discussed by the counselor)
  • The right to victim's compensation information, when applicable
Emotional Effects
Domestic violence can affect you emotionally. The following are a few examples of how you may feel:
  • Like you are "walking on eggshells"
  • Difficulty concentrating at school or work
  • Fearful
  • Sadness, feeling "trapped" and/or angry
  • Guilty
  • Domestic violence can affect your children. A few examples:
  • Eating and sleeping disorders (nightmares)
  • Separation anxieties
  • Regressive or aggressive behaviors (angry)
  • Difficulty in concentration
  • Anxiety, fear, shame, guilt
  • Taking responsibility for the abuse
  • Constant anxiety (that another beating will occur)
  • Guilt for not being able to stop the abuse or for loving the abuser
  • Fear of abandonment
Response Team Services
Both the Domestic Violence Response Team and the police department provide personalized, compassionate and confidential services, which include:
  • Short term individual counseling and support for victims, their children and non-perpetrating family members.
  • Resource and referral services.
  • Safety planning
  • Group counseling for victims and children.
  • Education seminars to community groups on domestic violence.
  • Grief counseling
Get Support
Support is just a phone call away 609-799-2333. Call anytime and ask to speak with a counselor.