- Township Clerk
- Marriage & Civil Union Licenses
Marriage & Civil Union Licenses
NOTE: VITAL RECORD REQUEST (BIRTH/MARRIAGE/DEATH) HOURS ARE 8:30 TO 3:30PM. MONDAY - FRIDAY. MARRIAGE APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE FOR AVAILABILITY.
Applying for a License
Couples can apply for a license in Plainsboro Township if:
- If either applicant resides in Plainsboro and the ceremony will take place in New Jersey
- If applicants reside outside of New Jersey, but the ceremony is taking place in Plainsboro
Couples must appear in person in the Municipal Center. Please do not sign the license beforehand, the oath must be administered in the office.
The couple must bring the following:
- A witness who is at least 18 years old
- Proof of residency (valid government issued identification showing current address)
- Original birth certificates with a raised seal or valid passports
- If applicable but not required, Original divorce papers with a raised seal, civil annulment documents or civil union dissolved/domestic partnership termination documents
- If applicable but not required, Original death certificates for deceased spouse, civil union or domestic partner
- Social security numbers
- Name of the municipality in which the ceremony will take place (the physical location, not the mailing address)
- Date of the ceremony
- Name and address of the person who is performing the ceremony
- Mothers’ maiden names
- Place (State or Country) where parents were born
There is a $28 fee payable by Cash or Money Order at the time of the application. There is a 72-hour State mandatory waiting period before the license can be picked up. Licenses are valid for 30 days from the time of pick-up.
Effective August 1997, New Jersey no longer requires a blood test.
The $28 marriage license application fee is waived until June 30, 2023.