Birth, Death & Marriage Vital Records

Vital Records

The Office of the Township Clerk maintains the records for birth, death, marriage/civil union and domestic partnerships occurring in Plainsboro. Certified copies of these vital records can be obtained in person from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday or ordered via U.S. Mail. The fee is $15 per copy and $25 for any correction to the record. Fees are payable by cash or money order only made payable to Plainsboro Township (Please do not mail cash). Self-addressed stamp envelopes or return priority envelopes are required for mail in request.  Request from outside the country require US payment form. The application to request a Vital Record is available below. Please fill out the required form and submit with acceptable identification.

Acceptable Identification

Acceptable identification is a valid and current photo driver’s license. If you do not have a driver’s license then you must submit 2 alternate forms of identification and at least 1 must show the current address. Acceptable alternates include:
  • Bank statement-not more than 90 days old
  • County
  • Current school
  • Current vehicle insurance card
  • Current vehicle registration
  • Federal/state
  • Immigrant visa
  • Permanent resident card (green card)
  • U.S. military
  • U.S./Foreign passport
  • Utility bill-not more than 90 days old
  • Valid and current non-photo, non-drivers license issued by NJDMV for identification purposes
  • Voter registration
  • W-2 or tax return for current or previous year

Applicants with no Identification please contact the office for further information.

Certified Copies

A Certified Copy of a vital record is issued to those individuals who have a direct link to the individual(s) named on the vital record, as identified in the Governor’s Executive Order 18, and provided that the requester is able to identify the vital record accurately.


Note on Forms

Use the Non-Genealogical Vital Request Form for birth records occurring within the last 80 years or if the individual is still living, marriages occurring within the last 50 years, deaths occurring within the last 40 years and all civil union and domestic partnership.

Use the Genealogical Vital Request Form for birth records occurring more than 80 years ago, marriages occurring more than 50 years ago and deaths occurring more than 40 years ago.

State of New Jersey - Vital Records