The division administers and enforces the New Jersey State Uniform Construction Code (UCC) by:
- Reviewing applications for compliance with the UCC.
- Processing applications for permits for new and existing buildings and related structures such as fences, decks, pools, etc.
- Conducting inspections to insure compliance and issuing certificates of occupancy or approval.
Inspections can be scheduled by calling the Building Division at least 24 hours before the inspection is desired. The scheduling of the inspection is contingent upon the demands for that particular day.
Plainsboro is on SDL Portal, an online hub where residents and professionals can access information, check status updates and submit requests 24/7.
Request a Building Inspection
There are several types of certificates regulated by the Uniform Construction Code:
- New buildings, building additions, and altered spaces require a Certificate of Occupancy.
- The Construction Official may issue a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy provided the building may be occupied safely prior to full completion without endangering health or safety.
- Buildings that have been renovated or altered will be issued a Certificate of Approval certifying that work has been completed in accordance with the provisions of the code.
Visit the New Jersey Codes website to find technical codes contained in the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code and enforced by the Plainsboro Building Division.