News Flash

Plainsboro Township Public Notices

Posted on: January 27, 2023

When is a “Registered Contractor” required?


Any persons hired to perform electrical, plumbing and HVAC work are required to be licensed by the State of New Jersey in their respective fields, but what about other trades and handymen hired to work on your house?  In 2005, the State of New Jersey adopted the Contractors Registration Act that requires any business or persons, other than the owner or an owner’s family member, who performs a “home improvement” on a residential dwelling to be registered with the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs as a Home Improvement Contractor. The state defines home improvement as the remodeling, altering, renovating, repairing, restoring, modernizing, moving, demolishing or otherwise improving or modifying any part of a residential property.  

A Home Improvement Contractor Registration is required to perform any work, whether or not a permit is required. This would include roofing, siding, flooring, painting, tiling, cabinet installation, drywall repairs and any other repairs, maintenance or improvements performed on a residence. This also includes work performed outside of the residence such as garages, sheds, decks, pools, pergolas, patios, and fences. 

A registered Home Improvement Contractor is required to carry a minimum of $500,000.00 in liability insurance and pay a fee each year to maintain the registration.  A person who performs any work on a residence who is not a registered Home Improvement Contractor may be subject to fines and criminal prosecution.  A homeowner who knowingly hires a person to perform work on their residence who is not a registered contractor is also violating the code.  

A list of registered home improvement contractors is available through the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs Website at  

If you have any questions on what work requires a Home Improvement Contractor Registration, please contact the Plainsboro Township Code Enforcement Department at (609) 799-0909 Ext 2545 or via email at

Facebook Twitter Email