Firearms ID Instructions
Firearms Application Procedures
FARS Application Procedures for Applicants:
Step 1: Visit this website. You MUST enter the site address as follows:
Step 2: Enter Plainsboro Police Department ORI #NJ0121800
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. When completing the application you will need the email addresses of 2 reputable references. Your references can be family members.
Step 4: PAYMENT for your INITIAL Firearms ID Card and/or Pistol Purchase Permits may be made in person at the Plainsboro Township Police Department OR electronically by following this link: Electronic Payment for Firearms
The associated fees are - $5.00 for Firearms ID cards and $2.00 for each Purchase Permit.
Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have PAID for the ID Card / Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process.
- Once your application is complete, a department representative will contact you.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
- The on-line application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well as the best email addresses for yourself and references.
All first time applicants MUST be fingerprinted. The fingerprint process will be completed by the state contracted company IndentoGo (Morpho Trust). This information and appointment form will be provided upon the submission of your properly completed firearms application.
Please note that if you have lived outside of New Jersey within the past 10 years you must manually fill out the, Consent for Mental Health Records Search and submit in person.
You will receive notification via the FARS system when your electronic FID and/or Purchase Permits have been issued and also by notification by this office.
* The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result in criminal charges against you.
Please direct all questions via email to: LRoberts@Plainsboropolice.com
**UPDATE** Effective July 6, 2020
Due to prevent the spread of Covid-19/Coronavirus
Visitors must wear a mask in the municipal building.
Maintain at least 6 feet distance between employees and visitors
Only 1 visitor is allowed at office counters at any time. Please do not bring any guests with you.
If you are feeling ill, caring for an acutely sick family member, come into contact with an acutely sick individual, or have COVID symptoms. PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE BUILDING